Bloopers #6

Tue May 30 08:13:43 CDT 2000

At 08:20 AM 5/29/00 -0600, Robin Leech wrote:

>Student humor through bloopers.  Enjoy.
>
>1.  Pepsin, HCl, mixed with albumin, reacted, proving the fact.
>
>2.  In the lipids test, we deducted that vegetable oil isn't soluble.
>
>3.  In doing these tests it seemed like there was a participate that
>formed when it seemed like the test was positive for whatever it was being
>tested for.

See?  These aren't really bloopers.  Bloopers are slips made by someone who
knows better.  These are just plain errors, made by students who have not
studied hard enough.  Not only that, but they don't really tell us anything
about common misconceptions to which students are liable, such as confusing
meiosis and mitosis because they sound similar to them.   The first is
apparently an incomplete sentence (the student wasn't sure just what fact
the experiment "proved", or forgot to come back to finish it); the second
confuses the verbs deduct and deduce or could be a simple misspelling; the
third writer has real problems with focussing his/her thoughts.

I'm not able to laugh at these, they just make me sad.  I have no objection
to real bloopers (#2 is getting close), but these are just plain mistakes.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:                     lammers at uwosh.edu
phone (office):         920-424-7085
phone (herbarium):  920-424-1002
fax:                         920-424-1101