Student Bloopers #4

Tue May 30 08:17:21 CDT 2000

At 04:26 PM 5/29/00 -0300, you wrote:
>On a Botany Lab classroom at my university (last week), where the students
>had to prepare temporary mountings of hand-made sections between glass slide
>and coverslip.
>
>Student: "I am sick and tired of trying to make this slide...all of the ones
>I made end up with lots of bubbles!"
>
>Professor:  "Try putting the slide at 45ยบ and then dropping it carefully on
>the drop of water"
>
>Student:  "GEE, professor, it is already difficult enough to make these
>slides and you still want us to warm up the coverslip before putting it on
>the section...that's too much for me!"

Yeah, now THAT's pretty funny!  I'm sure the student involved could even
laugh at him/herself in this one!  (Of course, for those of us used to
dealing with Fahrenheit rather than Celsius, I guess it should read "chill"
instead of "warm"!)

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:                     lammers at uwosh.edu
phone (office):         920-424-7085
phone (herbarium):  920-424-1002
fax:                         920-424-1101