Expiration of copywrite on printed matter

Jan Bosselaers dochterland at VILLAGE.UUNET.BE
Fri Nov 3 17:48:08 CST 2000

"Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr." wrote:

> A retired colleague is working on a database describing the fruits and
> seeds of all families of seed plants, i.e. angiosperms and gymnosperms in
> the tradional sense.  He is thinking about illustrating it with published
> figures which are no longer under copywrite.
>
> Does any TAXACOM reader know the exact year before which all printed works
> no longer are under copywrite?

As far as Europe is concerned, I think works are protected by copyright until
50 years after the death of the writer. At least for works of literature and
musical compositions, if I'm not mistaken. So Richard Strauss would be no
longer protected (since 1999), but Igor Stranvisky is still under shelter
until 2021.

Best regards,

Jan
Jan Bosselaers
"Dochterland", R. novarumlaan 2
B-2340 Beerse, Belgium                       tel 32-14-615896
home: dochterland at village.uunet.be      fax 32-14-610306
work: jbossela at janbe.jnj.com
web: http://gallery.uunet.be/Dochterland/
"The questions are the answers you might need" Noel Gallagher