Expiration of copywrite on printed matter

john jackson j.jackson at NHM.AC.UK
Mon Nov 6 17:51:04 CST 2000

Sadly, I am not an expert on copyright, nor do I have responsibility for
this in the NHM, so can't clarify on the US rumours.

However, I do know that the 70 year duration after death is relatively new
in the UK (the mid 1990s, I think?) and was introduced to create uniformity
in Europe.  I also know that copyright automatically rests with the author,
but can be signed over to somebody else (as one tends to do to some
publishers when they publish papers) - it is a type of property and I think
works in a similar way.  I don't know all the permutations by which
transfer can take place - but you can inherit it, for example, or it can be
covered under a contract - businesses will own the copyright or patents of
things produced by their employees.