species/subspecies query

Mark Newton urodacus at LORDS.COM
Wed Nov 15 16:39:01 CST 2000

I'm just wondering about something...I thought someone may help.

Hypothetically if we have 3 different species, ie these species are closely
related, but are geographically separated and hence each has their own
isolated gene pool.  I'll call them species A,B&C. If we bring together the
three species for reproductive purposes and find that A&B, B&C each produce
viable offspring, but A&C do not produce vaible offspring..what situation do
we have taxonomically?

Im wondering if they should all remain separate species or all be subspecies
of each other...or your ideas!

Many Thanks
Mark