Coleoptera & Strepsiptera

Doug Yanega dyanega at POP.UCR.EDU
Fri Nov 17 13:43:37 CST 2000

>      While we are on the subject of beetles, has there been anything
>published in the last couple of years on the debate whether Strepsiptera are
>more closely related to Coleoptera or Diptera?
>      I have always put that order next to Coleoptera, and last I heard the
>proposed relationship to Diptera was based on rather "iffy" preliminary
>molecular analysis.

The last I heard on this was from Jarmila Kukalova-Peck, who steadfastly
maintains the Coleoptera relationship is genuine, based on wing homologies
(she came here a year ago and showed lots of pictures of axillary
sclerites). I don't know if more molecular work has been done.
The most interesting thing I've seen along these lines lately was molecular
work linking the fleas as sister group to Boreid scorpionflies. It has a
nice conceptual logic to it, too - imagine these winter-active wingless
insects stumbling across torpid mammals all the time - what a gold mine for
the first mutant that evolves blood-sucking!

Peace,

           http://entmuseum9.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html