Coleoptera & Strepsiptera

Byron J. Adams bjadams at UFL.EDU
Sat Nov 18 15:42:42 CST 2000

on 11/17/00 1:23 PM, Ken Kinman at kinman at HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

> While we are on the subject of beetles, has there been anything
> published in the last couple of years on the debate whether Strepsiptera are
> more closely related to Coleoptera or Diptera?
> I have always put that order next to Coleoptera, and last I heard the
> proposed relationship to Diptera was based on rather "iffy" preliminary
> molecular analysis.

The phylogenetic position of the Strepsiptera stands at the center of
arguments about the role of long branch attraction in phylogenetic
reconstruction.  Parsimony analyses of morphological and molecular data says
they're sister taxa, maximum likelihood models of sequence substitution tend
not to.  I'm not yet convinced that diptera + strepsiptera is an artefact -
but check out some of the following papers and make up your own mind.

Byron
--
Byron J. Adams
University of Florida

Choe, C. P., U. W. Hwang and W. Kim. 1999. Putative secondary structures of
unusually long strepsipteran SSU rRNAs and its phylogenetic implications.
Molecules and Cells 9: 191-199.

Huelsenbeck, J. P. 1998. Systematic bias in phylogenetic analysis: Is the
Strepsiptera problem solved? Systematic Biology 47: 519-537.

Hwang, U. W., H. I. Ree and W. Kim. 2000. Evolution of hypervariable
regions, V4 and V7, of insect 18S rRNA and their phylogenetic implications.
Zoological Science 17: 111-121.

Rokas, A., J. Kathirithamby and P. W. H. Holland. 1999. Intron insertion as
a phylogenetic character: the engrailed homeobox of Strepsiptera does not
indicate affinity with Diptera. Insect Molecular Biology 8: 527-530.

Siddall, M. E. 1998. Success of parsimony in the four-taxon case:
Long-branch repulsion by likelihood in the Farris Zone. Cladistics-the
International Journal of the Willi Hennig Society 14: 209-220.

Siddall, M. E. and M. F. Whiting. 1999. Long-branch abstractions.
Cladistics-the International Journal of the Willi Hennig Society 15: 9-24.

Steel, M., D. Huson and P. J. Lockhart. 2000. Invariable sites models and
their use in phylogeny reconstruction. Systematic Biology 49: 225-232.

Whiting, M. F. 1998a. Long-branch distraction and the Strepsiptera.
Systematic Biology 47: 134-138.

Whiting, M. F. 1998b. Phylogenetic position of the Strepsiptera: Review of
molecular and morphological evidence. International Journal of Insect
Morphology & Embryology 27: 53-60.

Yeates, D. K. and B. M. Wiegmann. 1999. Congruence and controversy: Toward a
higher-level phylogeny of diptera. Annual Review of Entomology 44: 397-428.