Ph. D.-course

Gerald R. Noonan carabid at MPM.EDU
Mon Nov 20 14:09:17 CST 2000

The phylogenetic portion of the course seems to cover most of the
phylogenetic bases. However the historical biogeography section seems
incomplete, using only cladistic biogeography methods of studying
historical biogeography. There are many other methods. For example, you
might consider examining the use of GIS technology to examine how past
climates (such as those of the Wisconsin glaciation) have influenced
geographic distributions. See for example  Noonan, 1999.  GIS analysis of
the biogeography of beetles of the subgenus Anisodactylus (Insecta:
Coleoptera: Carabidae: genus Anisodactylus). Journal of Biogeography, 26,
1147-1160. Also even if you do not agree with its assumptions, you surely
will want to touch on panbiogeography.

At 12:32 PM 11/20/2000 +0100, Ole Seberg wrote:
>Ph. D. course in
>
>Phylogenetic systematics and historical biogeography
>

>The aim of the course is to teach Ph.D. students the theory and methodology
>of phylogenetic systematics (cladistics) and historical biogeography. The
>following subjects will be covered:
>
>*       Cladistic theory
>
>*       Character coding
>
>*       Tree building techniques
>
>*       Trees statistics and tree support
>
>*       Ecological phylogenetics/Character tracing and character
>*       manipulation
>
>*       Handling of molecular data
>
>*       Cladistic biogeography
>

>Various tree building programmes (e.g., Hennig86, PeeWee, NONA, POY, PAUP*,
>and TNT), programmes for manipulating data and trees (e.g., MacClade and
>Winclada), and biogeographical analysis (e.g., COMPONENT, DIVA) will be
>demonstrated and used. Lectures will alternate with practical exercises.
>
>The course is preferentially for Ph.D. students; hence, biological knowledge
>corresponding to a M.Sc. is required.
>However, if fewer than 20 Ph.D. students apply, M.Sc. students will also be
>admitted.
>
>Prior knowledge of phylogenetics corresponding to e.g., Schuh, T. 2000.
>Biological Systematics. Principles and Applications (Cornell University
>Press), is essential.
>
>There is a tuition fee of 2,500 D.Kr. (340 Euro), for Ph.D.-students not
>matriculated at a Danish University.
>
>The course will take place from 19 February - 2 March 2001 at the Botanical
>Institute, Botanical Laboratory, Gothersgade 140, DK-1123 Copenhagen K
>
>Teachers are Nils M. Andersen, Henrik Enghoff, Rudolf Meier and Nikolaj
>Scharff (all from the Zoological Museum), and Gitte Petersen, Finn N.
>Rasmussen, and Ole Seberg  (all from the Botanical Institute).
>
>Please note that you must arrange your own accommodation.
>
>For further information contact Ole Seberg, Botanical Institute, Gothersgade
>140, DK-1123, Copenhagen K (Fax: +45 33 13 91 04, E-mail: oles at bot.ku.dk) or
>Nikolaj Scharff, Zoologisk Museum, Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen
>Ø  (Fax: +45 35 32 10 10, E-mail: nscharff at zmuc.ku.dk
>
>Please register through the application form found at our homepage:
>http://www.bot.ku.dk/courses/phylo.htm
>Deadline for application is 15 January 2001

  Gerald R. Noonan Ph.D., Curator of Insects
  Milwaukee Public Museum
  800 W. Wells
  Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233
  carabid at .mpm.edu