request

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 20 16:28:11 CST 2000

      It was mentioned that the dicot _Claytonia virginica_ usually has only
one cotyledon, but I don't recall anyone mentioning a monocot with two
cotyledons.  If so, I must have deleted that posting as well.  However,
there are a few monocots with dicot type leaf venation and/or flower parts
in fours or fives (rather than threes).
      But the vast majority of species of angiosperms are clearly one or the
other, and I think someone said the rare exceptions are usually exotic
tropical plants.  Mother Nature will occasionally throw us an extant
transitional form, since synapomorphies don't evolve simultaneously.  If any
of the exceptions are reversals or convergences, I would think examining
several characteristics would make it quickly apparent (transitionals might
be a little trickier, but most of them are usually extinct).
                       -------Ken Kinman