Cotyledon number request

Tue Nov 21 07:34:33 CST 2000

At 09:59 AM 11/21/00 +0200, you wrote:
>I did not follow the original debate mentioned in the email below but maybe
>the following will be of interest? Cronquist in his 1981 "An Integrated
>System of Classification of Flowering Plants" says the following under the
>family Araceae (see page 1098): "embryo rather large, monocotyledonous or
>sometimes with a vestigial second cotyledon opposite the principal one,.."
>I have no reason whatsoever to believe Cronquist to be wrong but I cannot
>personally confirm what he says either. Perhaps there are others out there
>that are more familiar with the Araceae and who can confirm or refute
>this? I have been unable to find mention of this second vestigial
>cotyledon in other Araceae family descriptions I have to hand.

The Metcalfe & Chalke "Anatomy of the Monocotyledons" volumes might be the
place to check, but unfortunately, our library is packed away during the
herbarium renovation and I can't lay my hands on it.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA