On line specimen images

Peter Rauch anamaria at GRINNELL.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Nov 22 08:53:41 CST 2000

> Date:         Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:00:11 -0600
> From: "Margaret R. Bolick" <mbolick at UNLSERVE.UNL.EDU>
>
> I'd like to get the community's opinions on the utility of specimen
> images associated with on line databases.

Is there an inventory of URL's to online specimen (herbarium?) images
to facilitate surveying them, per MB's question. (I assume that
you're asking about herbarium sheet-/slide-mounted specimens here,
and not generally images -in the field- of plants?)

Are online NON-herbarium sheet images becoming useful for
taxonomic/systematics researchers, and if so under what conditions
(e.g., only when they carry critical locality data, photographer name,
determiner's name, etc?)?

>  In particular, I'd like to
> know if:
>
> 3.
> ...  As a community, what priority should we give production of
> on-line specimen images?

And, for what purposes (uses of the images) would such priorities be made?
("Uses" implies including the user of the image into the priority-setting
equation, of course.)

Peter