Online images

Chris Carlton ccarlto at UNIX1.SNCC.LSU.EDU
Wed Nov 22 11:12:18 CST 2000

As one who studies small beetles, there are limitations to the utility of online images, depending on the resolution, angle, etc. But there are two areas that I would find extremely useful. One is generic-level diagnoses for genera that I don't have examples of. The other is holotype images, but the later requires that care be taken to capture species-level characters, which in my case often requires genitalia dissections.

Many of us are moving in the direction of publishing supplemental images and information on websites simultaneously with hardcopy descriptions of taxa, and an equal or greater number of us are nervous that the potential to have this outlet available will compromise the quality and usefulness of published descriptions. This is something to be vigilant about.

Chris Carlton, Ph.D.
Director, Louisiana State Arthropod Museum
Editor, Coleopterists Bulletin
Dept. Entomology, 402 Life Science
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Ph. 225-578-1838 Fax 578-1643

Websites: http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/wwwac/dept/entomology/louisian.htm (Louisiana State Arthropod Museum); http://www.museum.lsu.htm (Louisiana Museum of Natural History); http://www.coleopsoc.org (Coleopterists Society)