Online images

Murray Fletcher murray.fletcher at AGRIC.NSW.GOV.AU
Thu Nov 23 12:04:55 CST 2000

I have been working through our type lists on the web and adding photographs of individual primary types. Although this might be of little use taxonomically in many groups (we have a lot of mite types for example) it does provide some measure of information about the specimen that would enable some questions to be answered without borrowing the specimen. In particularly, a quick comparison with identified material in a
collection is usually enough to eliminate many possible identifications. The same applies to images of primary types. Further, if a different view of the specimen were needed then this could be provided for particular requirements.

Having photographic images of primary types available on the web also records the condition of the specimen at that time and the style of mount, etc. In one case, where the original type series was three specimens glued to the same piece of card, the specimen designated as lectotype was identified by its placement on the card and by a red margin added to the card but having a photographic image of the whole mount with an arrow
added to the image indicating the lectotype provides a confirmation of which specimen holds that status.

Murray Fletcher

Murray

--
Dr Murray J. Fletcher