On line specimen images

Jean-Michel MAES jmmaes at IBW.COM.NI
Mon Nov 27 19:11:15 CST 2000

Dear Thomas Lammers,

I think few people think on the case of poor countries with unreliable mail
system.
I ask once for a couple of type of Lucanidae from California Academy of
Sciences. After asking 10 times, they finally send me the types. The package
go to Laos, then to Nicaragua. The package reach me completely crushed and
the specimens were badly damaged.
Many museum does not want to send specimens to tropical countries. Risks are
too bigs.
I think in case of many big beetles, and in case of butterflies and many
moths, good quality pictures could be a good solution to avoid sending
specimens.
I think that collections of Linnaeus, Fabricius, Hopa, Westwood, Say, if
exists, could be put online. It would be an exceptional profit for many of
us with no money to travel to a lot of museum. The travel expenses permit
some of us in Latin America, to go each year to one place (sometimes each
two or 3 years), so most of the times Smithsonian, London, International
Congress of Entomology, no more. No money to go to 20 or 30 museums to see
the material...

Sincerely,

Jean-Michel MAES
MUSEO ENTOMOLOGICO
AP 527
LEON
NICARAGUA
tel 505-3116586
jmmaes at ibw.com.ni
www.insectariumvirtual.com/termitero/termitero.htm#nicaragua
www.insectariumvirtual.com/lasmariposasdenicaragua.htm
www-museum.unl.edu/research/entomology/workers/JMaes.htm
www-museum.unl.edu/research/entomology/database2/honduintro.htm