Checklist of the Scarabaeoidea of the Nearctic Realm

Andrew Smith asmith at UNLSERVE.UNL.EDU
Tue Dec 4 22:18:24 CST 2001

Dear scarab enthusiasts,

I am announcing the release of a new electronic publication entitled
"Checklist of the Scarabaeoidea of the Nearctic Realm."  This
taxonomic checklist includes all scarab beetle species from North
America and northern Mexico.  Included are all valid names with a
complete list of synonyms in their original combinations with authors
and dates.

The scarab literature (old and new) has been riddled with
inaccuracies and errors.  I have attempted to correct many of these
by examining the original descriptions for taxa and correctly
applying the rules of zoological nomenclature.  I have tried not to
make any new taxonomic decisions in the checklist (such as
synonymizing taxa or using new classification schemes), it is a
reflection of the current literature.  The classification scheme is
based on the soon-to-be-published second volume of "American
Beetles."   This checklist will change as new papers are published
and as further mistakes are corrected.  I would like to hear from
anyone who has corrections or additions to the list.  Copies of the
list can be downloaded in PDF or MS Word format from the following
website:
http://www-museum.unl.edu/research/entomology/nearctic.htm

This project was supported by an NSF/PEET grant (DEB-9712447) to B.
C. Ratcliffe and M. L. Jameson.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Andrew Smith