new synonym-- and

Ron at Ron at
Wed Dec 5 13:25:09 CST 2001

snip
It is not 'New status' because the status of the junior synonym has not
changed- it is still a junior synonym.  Thoughts?

    Ron:  This is a good question.  If I divorce and remarry
    would not my "status" still be "married" (vs. single).
    But, if I move from South  Carolina to California
    would not my "status" be changed from SC resident
    to Cal. resident?  So it would seem to be totally up
    to the view of the one compiling the synonymic list
    in how they _apply_ the term New Status. Associating
    a _name_ with a different species or subspecies will
    leave _that name_ the same, but the name is now
    recognized as belonging to (associated with) a whole
    new _organism_.   Thus, while the name remains the
    same its organic (and thus taxonomic) status is indeed
    "new".

For clarity.  If we take the word status as limited to rank, then the
status is not changed -- as in my marital example above.   But, if in the
new alignment, organic relation is also introduced by the transfer then one
has to decide if this is both a new synonymy and new status.  Check
lists/synonymies are not just nomenclatural words list in my view.  The
underlying reason (justification) for their existence is to convey
taxonomic relationships.

Practically speaking, in looking at butterfly synonymies, this seems to
usually just be treated as New Synonymy and not New Status.  Status = rank.

Ron Gatrelle
TILS president
Charleston, SC - USA
http://www.tils