Linneaus quote

Robert Mesibov mesibov at SOUTHCOM.COM.AU
Mon Dec 10 09:31:25 CST 2001

I have the following quote through a friend. Does anyone know the source,
and the original language?

'While my colleagues can constantly enjoy the amenities of life, I have to
work day and night on the investigation of a science that a thousand men
will not be able to complete, to say nothing of the time I squander every
day on scientific correspondence and so bring upon myself a premature old age.'

'Linneaus, 1761, letter to Nikolaus Joseph von Joaquin'

Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate
Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery
(03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195