Linneaus quote

Mark A. Garland magarland at NETTALLY.COM
Mon Dec 10 00:02:25 CST 2001

I don't have the source, but you might check out the "Linnaean
Correspondence" web site at http://www.c18.org/pr/lc/

They aim to put all of Linnaeus's correspondence on the web.  They
also have a bibliography of printed works.

Linnaeus wrote in Latin or Swedish, as far as I know.  I'm guessing
Latin here, since the recipient was probably a non-Swede,
Jacquin--from the web site:

Jacquin, Nicolas Joseph, baron von (1727-1817). Dutch. Botanist. In
1755 at the order of emperor Franz I of Austria he went to the
Antilles and South America. In 1763 he became professor of mineralogy
and chemistry at Chemnitz, later professor of botany at Vienna and
director of the botanical garden at Schoenbrunn.

And from Frans Stafleu, Linnaeus and the Linnaeans (1971, p. 185):
"The correspondence between Jacquin and Linnaeus is fully available to
us: the letters written by Linnaeus to Jacquin were published as early
as 1841 by Schreiber; those written by Jacquin are at The Linnean
Society of London, and available on IDC microfiche."  This refers to
Schreibers, C. N. J. & S. Endlicher (1841), Caroli Linnaei epistolae
ad Nicolaum Josephum Jacquin ex autographis edidit...

Hope this helps.  I'm no expert, but happened to be reading up on
Linnaeus recently.

Mark Garland
2600 Blair Stone Road, Mail Station 2500
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
U.S.A.