Censorship

Geoff Read g.read at NIWA.CRI.NZ
Thu Dec 20 16:58:41 CST 2001

> When reviewers reject papers because they do not conform to their
> individual beliefs rather than demonstrating any fundamental problem with the
> scientific quality that's censorship and suppression.

I don't follow the logic. Why can't their individual belief be that there is a
fundamental problem with the scientific quality? If they think it's off the wall,
are they not supposed to say so?  John Grehan wants them to let his paper
through anyway because to him it's all beautifully internally consistent if
only referees would accept his methodology. Many presumably don't,
hence the high rejection rate he experiences.   There are strategies of
dealing with that so that editors are persuaded  to publish. Presumably
John is getting very expert in those strategies since his work does get into
print - and in prestigious journals at that! :-)

Cheers,

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>
  http://www.annelida.net/