Fair Use for Electronic documents

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Fri Dec 21 07:21:19 CST 2001

Under US Copyright law, "fair use" meant using ONE copy for one's personal
RESEARCH, etc., or a teacher using multiple copies for ONE class at ONE time
(if used for subsequent classes, then permission is required). This still
applies to works printed on paper. However ...

It should be noted that the "fair use" provisions do not apply to digital /
electronic works. And pdf documents are digital works. Congress recently
eliminated those when they revised the copyright law for the newer media to
solve the compliants of the Music and e-book publishers (the NAPSTER
problem, etc.).

So, you do need to pay CCC for pdf documents, etc.

Sorry
On 19 Dec 2001 at 16:29, Robert A. (Bob) Morris wrote:

> In fact, you will usually also see an article
> serial number and a fee that is to be paid to the Copyright Clearance
> Center if you make a copy of the article that is not deemed fair use
> (e.g. to circulate to lots of other people).

Thank you for pointing this out. Here is darkest Africa I have frequently
worried about
me not paying the (for our currency) exorbitant fee to CCC when making
copies for
personal or work use. Can you perhaps elaborate on what the CCC considers
"fair
use", as I have not before noticed such a "clause" on the CCC page in
journals.

Greetings,

RIAAN STALS

-------------
RIAAN STALS
VREHRS at PLANT5.AGRIC.ZA

South African National Collection of Insects
ARC - Plant  Protection  Research  Institute
Private Bag X134  Pretoria 0002 South Africa
Voice +27-12-323-8540    Fax +27-12-325-6998

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., ARS, USDA
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D. C. 20560-0169