Carabus

Prirodoslovni muzej Split primust at ST.TEL.HR
Wed Jan 10 14:44:38 CST 2001

Dear James, dear all,
thank you very much!
I am not an expert as you can see...
Thanks again!
Best wishes!
I'd like to thank to all friends who gave me the answer.

Bože Kokan
Prirodoslovni muzej i zoološki vrt Split
p.p.376
21 000 Split
Croatia
Europe
primust at st.tel.hr
tel/fax: ++385/21/460-989

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James Bergdahl, Conservation Biology Center
  To: ENTOMO-L at LISTSERV.UOGUELPH.CA
  Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 5:54 PM
  Subject: Carabus

  Carabus, to most North American carabidologists, is a genus, not a group of genera. There have been taxonomic splitters over the years (especially in Europe) that have broken the genus up into its subgenera, but in general it seems to be an intact genus, at least in my part of the world. Others may disagree.

  Carabus species tend to be large bodied as adult (incluing many brachypterous or wing polymorphic species), and predator/scavengers.

  Although the genus is the namesake of one of the worlds largest familes of plants or animals, the geographic distrubution of Carabus itself is restricted to the Holarctic region. However, it is clearly much more diverse in the Paleoarctic region (hence the taxonomic splitting there). In North America, Carabus is more-or-less ecologically replaced by the calosomines (e.g. Calasoma).

  James Bergdahl
  CONSERVATION BIOLOGY CENTER
  PO Box 8317
  Spokane, WA 99203
  Email:  bergdahl at icehouse.net
  ph/fax (call first):  509 835 5233

    I need an information about distribution of Carabus genera.
    On which continents live Carabus sp.?
    Can you help me, please?

    Thanks in advance!

    primust at st.tel.hr