Lectotype rule-change explained

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Fri Jan 26 07:09:10 CST 2001

At 02:35 AM 1/26/01, Mick Webb wrote:
>Rather, we should
>ask the question: is the identity of this taxon in doubt (if the syntype
>series
>is retained as the name-bearing type)? If not, don't designate.

I'm fascinated by this exchange. The practice in botany (as least
phanerogamic, with which I am most familiar) has been to *always* select a
lectotype from a syntype series. If I were a manuscript reviewer and
noticed that an author had left a syntype series intact in a revisionary
work, I would express the need to remedy that in my review.

Biological Sciences Department             Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University      FAX: (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                  jcclark at csupomona.edu