Species Re-description

Jayson Gillespie jmg1 at UALBERTA.CA
Tue Jul 3 16:44:44 CDT 2001

As there has been some discussion as of late on ranking and ICZN, I
thought it would be an appropriate time to ask for advise on a
pycnogonid species re-description that I am working on.

The holotype exists, but is not complete.  Only one of each appendage
remains in a slide mount, with the body of the type no longer
present.  In addition there are no other types for this species.

My question is in regards to the type specimens.  Is an incomplete
specimen adequate to remain as the holotype for the species?  Also,
am I able to implement new types for the species, such as a syntype
or paratypes?

Jayson