Species Re-description

Murray Fletcher murray.fletcher at AGRIC.NSW.GOV.AU
Wed Jul 4 13:22:51 CDT 2001

Jayson,

These remnants comprise the holotype. You cannot designate a paratype or
syntype since these could only have been designated by the original
author. You could designate a neotype but to do so you will need to
demonstrate to the International Commission that the holotype is lost. As
you have parts of the holotype remaining, you probably need to
demonstrate to the Commission that these parts are totally incapable of
representing the species in order to justify creation of a neotype.

Murray

Jayson Gillespie wrote:

> As there has been some discussion as of late on ranking and ICZN, I
> thought it would be an appropriate time to ask for advise on a
> pycnogonid species re-description that I am working on.
>
> The holotype exists, but is not complete.  Only one of each appendage
> remains in a slide mount, with the body of the type no longer
> present.  In addition there are no other types for this species.
>
> My question is in regards to the type specimens.  Is an incomplete
> specimen adequate to remain as the holotype for the species?  Also,
> am I able to implement new types for the species, such as a syntype
> or paratypes?
>
> Jayson

Dr Murray J. Fletcher
Senior Research Scientist
Agricultural Scientific Collections Unit
Orange Agricultural Institute
Orange NSW 2800
Australia

Phone: +61-2-63913943