ICBN too

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 16 00:15:02 CDT 2001

Richard and Mary,
     This precisely why a more stable cladisto-eclectic system of
classification is likely to evolve from the present mess of nomenclature.
When PhyloCode finally gets implemented, the cladists are going to get hit
with a wall of resistance that is pretty much unexpected, from scientists
(traditionalist eclecticists) and non-systematic scientists who are more
interested in identification and stability, and the various levels of
serious amateur naturalists (collectors, gardeners, or whatever).
     We can't really go back to the old traditional eclecticism as it once
way practiced (it was not rigorous enough in most cases), so a hybrid
(cladisto-eclectic) system is inevitable.  That is what I envisioned in the
late 1970's when I was working on the Kinman System, and I'm convinced that
something along these lines is a new common ground that all users of
classifications will find useful.  The problem is trying to convince both
sides that such common ground does exist if we work together to fashion it.
      I am quite weary of cladist vs. eclecticist, and town vs. gown.  In my
mind, it is a senseless waste of time and energy.  As I once said in one of
poems (on more economic matters), the wealth we seek is lost in war.   We
are wasting so much energy in a way that future generations will find hard
to understand.  There is no good reason that scientific names should be this
unstable, so much so that even common names seem preferable.  I'm sure
Linnaeus would find the present state of affairs rather shocking.
                  -----Ken Kinman