ICBN or BS

Mon Jul 16 11:35:17 CDT 2001

At 10:10 AM 7/16/01 -0600, Mary Barkworth wrote:
>One of the contributors to
>the Grass Manual objected to my changing the phrase 'common name' to
>'English name'.  Of course, I should probably change it to 'American
>name', to which non-English speaking Americans could reasonably object,
>or English language name, one more word - but greater accuracy.

I think the phrase "vernacular name" gets around such objections.  Even
many of our "English" names (as are so many English words in general) are
loan words from Spanish, French, and other languages.  Sometimes they
remain recognizable (e.g., mignonette), sometimes they are corrupted beyond
recognition, e.g., "Jerusalem artichoke" for Helianthus tuberosus is a
corruption of the Italian word for sunflower, girasole.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA