Common Names => Classification (utility) & species (unique identifiers)

Mon Jul 16 12:03:54 CDT 2001

At 12:46 PM 7/16/01 -0400, Christian Thompson wrote:
>As an aside to those botanist read this stream. Do the Linnaean genera,
>like Ulmus (elms), Quercus (oaks), Acer (maples), Pinus (pines), etc.,
>remain in use in their broad sense that I as a zoologist think of them?  Or
>have they too been split?

These genera you mention seem very "natural" -- Linnaeus seems to have
delimited clades.  For other Linnaean plant genera, this is not true,
though in many cases, the splitting was done within a generation or two of
1753 and so does not cause problwems today.
Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA