Echinochloa oryzicola and Echinochloa oryzoides

Mary Barkworth Mary at BIOLOGY.USU.EDU
Mon Jul 16 11:22:10 CDT 2001

In preparing the treatment of Echinochloa for Flora North America we
realized that we have little information on the pubescence, or lack
thereof, on the lower culm nodes in Echinochloa oryzoides and E.
oryzicola. Because I have very few specimens available to me here,  I
would really appreciate it if someone with access to more specimens
could tell me whether (as our few specimens suggest) it is true that
Echinohcloa oryzoides always has lower nodes that are smooth and
glabrous whereas the lower nodes of E. orizicola are either scabrous or
pubescent.

What would be really nice would be the semblance of a table:
E. oryzoides   10 glabrous, 1 scabrous
E. oryzicola     0 glabrous, 4 scabrous, 5 pubescent.

I know; I am asking a lot - but it is worth trying.  I have posted the
curent version of the treatment at
http://herbarium.usu.edu/grassmanual/treatments/Echinochloa.htm.  Feel
free to send me comments on any aspect of it.

Thank you for considering this request.

Mary Barkworth