Collector's Permits for Herbaria?

diana horton diana-horton at UIOWA.EDU
Mon Jul 16 12:51:03 CDT 2001

Recently, a friend and I found an undocumented population of a federally
listed orchid on an Iowa Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Area.  In
view of the species federal status, I requested permission from the Iowa
DNR to take a specimen.  The response was that the *herbarium*, as well as
the collectors, need a collector's permit.  I am taken aback by the
stipulation that the Herbarium requires a permit and wonder if this is the
case in other states.  Obviously, the Herbarium is not doing the
collecting; it is the repository where the collected specimen will be
deposited.  Does this mean that all herbaria must have collector's permits
if they house any federal or state endangered species?  Does this in some
way, indirectly, give a state agency control over collections in the
herbarium?

Diana Horton, Curator
University of Iowa Herbarium