ICBN or BS

Mon Jul 16 12:45:45 CDT 2001

That is being done, to some exent, in the Flora North America, e.g, northern red
oak & chene rouge; Emory oak & bellota; water oak & chene gris;  butternut &
noyere cerdre; little walnut
& nogalito; witch hazel & cafe du diable; osage orange & bois d'arc (or, as they
say in Arkansas, bodark!).

To be honest, I find the etymology of common names a fascinating subject in its
own right.  As for the origin of "Jerusalem artichoke," I offer an alternative
to Tom Lammer's explanation (the most oft-cited, but perhaps least likely
explanation).  Apparently, use of the Italian "girasole" as a generic word for
sunflower (it translates literally as "turn-to-the-sun"), post-dates the use of
Jerusalem artichoke (the latter arising from Champlain's description of a tuber,
eaten by North American natives, that tasted of artichoke).   The Jerusalem
artichoke was known in early 17th century Holland as the "artichoke-apple of Ter
Neuzen, Ter Neuzen being the hometown of one Petrus Pontius who was among the
first to grow this succesfully in Europe.  Thus, the Dutch "artichocken Ter
Neuzen" was coopted by the English as "artichoke Jer usalem" (English speaking
peoples are very adept at bastardizing other languages - does the same happen in
reverse?).  As for those of you who know this tuber as "topinambour", that's
another story!  In all honesty, I think "artichocken onder d'eerde" is the most
mellifluous choice name for this interesting plant.

--
Richard J. Jensen              TEL: 219-284-4674
Department of Biology      FAX: 219-284-4716
Saint Mary's College         E-mail: rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Notre Dame, IN  46556     http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen