ICBN too

Phil Bunch pbunch at CTS.COM
Tue Jul 17 06:46:50 CDT 2001

One place I see common names being used in at least a semiformal way is in
lists of protected or special status species as defined by various
jurisdictions. This is affecting usage in communications about such species
at least within the jurisdiction of the agency for which communications are
prepared. If one submits a document with an "incorrect" common name you can
be sure it will receive a scathing comment by some zealous reviewer.

This has raised some PC issues. For example, Ambrosia pumila should
probably be referred to as a "ragweed." However, since it is a sensitive
species it has been labeled as the "San Diego ambrosia :-)   In terms of
trying to make direct translations from Latin, what in heavens name are
they going to do with Clitoria mariana?
Phil Bunch

On Monday, July 16, 2001 07:23, Thomas Lammers
[SMTP:lammers at VAXA.CIS.UWOSH.EDU] wrote:
> At 09:04 AM 7/16/01 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >I have my students learn both the formal taxonomic names as well as
common
> >names for all plants we study in lab and in the field.
>
> Yeah, I did, too, until I started getting, "But that's what we call it,
> back home!" each time I pointed out an "incorrect" common name on a
> quiz.  With no authoritative source for common names, how can I tell a
> student that "hooter nuts" is not the common name for Amphicarpaea
bracteata?

> >  it is incumbent on us as taxonomists to make our non-taxonomist
> >colleagues aware of both the utility and the shortcomings of common
> >names.
>
> I tell students that common names are like The Little Girl Who Had a
Little