semi-holophyly clarified (was "generic oversplitting")

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 18 13:00:13 CDT 2001

Tom,
     The point is that I don't practice traditional paraphyly EITHER (for
many of the same reasons that you don't).  The {{markers}} for outgroups
effectively transform such traditional paraphyletic groups into
semi-holophyletic groups (with all the information contained in strictly
holophyletic groups).
      I even started calling them semi-holophyletic (instead of the equally
accurate semi-paraphyletic) to make this clearer and try to get strict
cladists to take a closer look.  My classifications **ARE** continuously
nested, but still allow an occasional semi-paraphyletic break in the tree of
life at carefully selected major nodes (which usually precede very poorly
understood sections of the tree).  The markers are cross-referenced in both
directions to clearly and explicitly show this continuity.  I am not asking
strict cladists to abandon any of their principles, but do ask that they
reexamine their belief that absolutely pure holophyly is the ONLY way to
achieve their goals.
     A modified system makes it possible to incorporate both branching and
divergence into a single classification, and at the same time provides much
greater nomenclatural stability in poorly understood parts of the tree of
life.   And it also sweeps away the perceived need to eliminate ranks or the
notion that the whole Linnean System isn't worth the bother (it is not a
dead or dying system if I have anything to say about it).  I understand the
fundamental principles and goals of both sides, and believe that it is
mainly stubbornness, inertia, and indifference which are standing in the way
of bridging the differences.
      A middle ground approach is possible (and if anyone says this is like
being half-pregnant, I think I might tear my hair out).  A cladisto-eclectic
system will almost certainly be widely adopted sooner or later, once the
advantages become apparent to enough people (and it will probably snowball
from there).  Until then, things will just slowly deterioriate.  In the
meantime, I will continue to plant my hybrid seeds and explain their
advantages to anyone who will listen.
                 Rant over,  Ken