One origin?

Thu Jul 19 09:28:04 CDT 2001

Since I am in "Taxacom-posting" mode at the moment anyway, I'll take this
opportunity to ask about something that I've never had a good handle on.

Ron Gatrelle wrote:

> The idea that all life on earth
> came from one seed is just an assumption.

Sticking within the evolutionary paradigm, I ask these questions:

Are Viruses considered to be "life"?

Is "Vira" considered as a legitimate Kingdom, alongside the other recognized
Kingdoms?

...and most directly to my query:

Is there a general feeling that Viruses share a common origin with other
forms of life, or might their origin be independent?

Thanks, and Aloha,
Rich