One origin? (viral evolution)

Fri Jul 20 07:48:25 CDT 2001

At 04:09 PM 7/19/01 -0500, you wrote:

>My classification of Kingdom Monera (prokaryotes), and viruses are
>obviously prokaryotic,

Um, I take exception to this statement.  Correct me if I am wrong, but do
not the terms "prokaryote" and "eukaryote" refer to cells?  Viruses are
non-cellular.  Ergo, it seems inappropriate to refer to them as prokaryotic.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA