One origin? (viral evolution)

Fri Jul 20 09:43:55 CDT 2001

At 08:11 AM 7/20/01 -0600, you wrote:

>No, prokaryote and eukaryote refer to the nucleus.  Karyo means "nut", and
>that's what Hook and others thought it looked like.   "Eu" means "true", so
>the eukyaryotes have a "true nut" or true nucleus.

Well, of course the term refers to the nucleus, but the point is whether a
*cell* has a nucleus or not!  Who cares if non-cellular things have a
nucleus?  If we consider viruses to be prokaryotic, then so is a quartz
crystal or a diamond.  Not having a nucleus is really a moot point when you
don't have a cell membrane, cytoplasm, ribosomes, or metabolism!

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA