Value of Scientific Specimens

Jean-Michel MAES jmmaes at IBW.COM.NI
Wed Jul 25 18:17:47 CDT 2001

Dear Christian Thompson,

Recently the British Museum buy the Hughes Bomans collection of Lucanidae
beetles. If my information is true the price paid was 60,000 sterling
pounds. It's a very nice and very complete collection of stag beetles.

The price of a specimen is not very precise. I have been offered 750 US $
for a color variation of a Plusiotis. I have seen in Japanese offer lists
price like 500, 600 and up to 900 US $ for bigger than normal stag beetles.
The price vary following the size of the specimen. What about a gynandromoph
specimens. An Indonesian dealer was selling a gynandromorph Dorcus, base
price was 3,000 US $. After seeing the picture it was a teratogenic male,
not a gynandromorph and then the price could be 0.5 US $. I do not know
about butterfly prices but I guess a specimen of a new species of
Ornithoptera could be easily more than 1,000 US $.

Of course in price lists of dealers there are not many Agromyzidae or
Ptiliidae, but I think there are two different prices, as always, the price
you get if you try to sell something, and the price you need to give if you
try to get something. I remember some years ago, someone offer me 1 US $
each to collect Pselaphidae. In reality I collect few Pselaphidae and they
are still in my collection but the idea is this, there is a big gap between
offer and demand prices because not real market, in many insect groups.

Sincerely,

Jean-Michel.

Dr. Jean-Michel MAES
MUSEO ENTOMOLOGICO