"Fuzziness" (Continuity and classification)

Byron J. Adams bjadams at UFL.EDU
Fri Jul 27 10:40:23 CDT 2001

Hi Rich -

Although they do not address the Phylocode explicitly, Kevin Nixon and Jim
Carpenter recently criticised the "phylogenetic" (node node pointing) system
of de Quieroz and Gauthier, charging that the NP system is less stable (in
terms of the net change in species included in a particular group under
different classifications) than a Linnean system that is modified to reflect
recovered evolutionary history.

I'll wager there is substantial support for their opinions among the ranks
of "working taxonomists" (sensu Carpenter).

Nixon, K. C. and J. M. Carpenter (2000) On the other "phylogenetic
systematics".  Cladistics 16:298-318.

cheers,

Byron

--