"Fuzziness" (Continuity and classification)

Thomas DiBenedetto tdibenedetto at OCEANCONSERVANCY.ORG
Fri Jul 27 12:57:18 CDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Deborah A Lewis [mailto:dlewis at IASTATE.EDU]
I'll "rise to your bait" -- I have yet to be asked by Mr./Ms. Joe/Jane
Public to "link names to lineages", and THEY are the ones who pay my salary.

Deb, I don't know what your line of research is, but if you describe
species, then you are certainly linking names to lineages (coherent terminal
brances of lineages), and if you do systematics of any kind, then you are
linking names to
lineages (either accurately or approximatly), and if you are doing neither,
then I guess I wasn't referring to you.
I dont know what Mr/Ms Public is paying you to do, but I would guess that
they figure that you are to do good science, even though they dont really
know what that means. Putting names on real, distinct parts of life, be that
extant species-level taxa or historical higher taxa seems to me to fill the
bill quite nicely.

Tom DiBenedetto