"Fuzziness" (Continuity and classification)

Fri Jul 27 07:00:34 CDT 2001

Hi Byron,

Thanks for forwarding the reference.

Is this a criticism of the concept (reflecting the phylogeny in the
nomenclature), or is it a criticism of implementation (cladistic
over-confidence leading to nomenclatural changes based upon weakly supported
phylogenies, leading to unnecessary instabiliy).  In other words, would the
criticisms still stand if future technology allowed us to elucidate
phylogenies with tremendous confidence?

Aloha,
Rich