"Fuzziness" (Continuity and classification)

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 27 16:39:15 CDT 2001

Curtis,
      Rejection of strict cladism is NOT a rejection of classifications
based on evolutionary kinship.  Where did that idea come from?   It is
rejection of the notion that they must be based ONLY on evolutionary
kinship.
      And since species really don't split into two daughter species (a
daughter species buds off a mother species), the whole binary splitting
model is only a simplistic approximation of evolutionary kinships anyway.
Add to that the reticulate nature of much evolution, and strict
cladifications wouldn't be an accurate representation anyway (even if they
were stable), and in my opinion they never can be no matter how much
information we have.  I certainly don't want to go back to traditional
paraphyletic groups that are not labelled as such (and do not show where the
exgroups fit in cladistically).  That's what the cladistic movement should
be about---- explicitness and testability.  But strict cladism has gone
overboard and thrown the baby out with the bath water when it comes to
classifications.  Anyway, there is now an alternative to going back to the
bad old days of classifications that were inexplicit, often untestable, and
autocratic.  A return to a more extreme eclecticism is the not what I want,
but fear that PhyloCode might end up triggering a movement in that
direction.  Scarey stuff in my opinion.
         --------Ken
P.S.   I do agree with Tom that taxa should be anchored on characters
whenever possible.  I tried to get the PhyloCoders to at least anchor
Mammalia on a taxon so that it would at the very least approximate the
traditional taxon based on the traditional characters of three ear ossicles
and the mammalian jaw joint.  Unfortunately, I get the feeling they still
want to make Mammalia a crown group and anchor it on the fossil-poor
monotremes.  Therefore I really can't blame cladists who don't like
PhyloCode.  And I was informed recently that there are no plans to omit
generic names from the initial testing of PhyloCode.  They seem hell bent on
testing it big time all at once, and will apparently not be restricting
their initially testing to higher taxa.  Looks like it will be all out, sink