Theories, facts, laws

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 28 17:14:03 CDT 2001

Richard,
     I agree with you that it a question of semantics whether the word
evolution is applied to pre-origin chemical processes, since even if we
could observe how it happened, it is another one of those fuzzy continuities
that just can't be pinned down exactly.  So I wouldn't worry about that too
much.
     However, I'm not sure it such a good idea to state that evolution is a
fact.  A good sophist can too easily take such a statement and turn it into
a narrow semantic debate, and then all your other points can get lost in the
shuffle.
     I think it might be a little better to say something to the effect that
the Theory of Evolution, like the Theory of Gravity, is overwhelmingly
factual, so much so that they are widely regarded as natural "Laws".
     ----Just a suggestion,
               Good luck,  Ken