Not just in Kansas, Anymore....

John R. Grehan jrg13 at PSU.EDU
Mon Jul 30 14:51:06 CDT 2001

At 09:21 AM 7/28/01 -0700, you wrote:
>At 04:45 AM 7/28/01, Richard Pyle wrote:
>>Along these lines ("theory", etc.), in my draft testimonial to the Hawaii
>>BOE, I state that the concept of "Evolution" (change in the structure or
>>behavior of organisms over multiple generations) is actually a scientific
>>*fact*, as it has been directly observed on small scales repeatedly, and
>>indirectly observed on large scales through the fossil record.

Isn't it bizarre that the issue comes down to a debate over philosophical
issues that are so obscure that I doubt I could make much sense of them let
along politicians who may not even be acquainted with science. Perhaps that
is the real problem, that the curricula are designed by political
appointees rather than through the educational hierarchy itself (of couse
that will not eliminate the politics, cut the politics that will come into
play will reflect the discipline itsellf).

>>I further
>>maintain that Natural Selection is the leading "Theory" to explain how the
>>fact of biological evolution has led to a broad diversity of organisms that
>>appear to be adapted to the environments in which they live.

Leading- most popular. Natural selection does not explain how distributions
have evolved the way they do - and distributions represent 'two thirds' of
the evolutionary process.

>are the result of design. Modern "creation science" has no research program
>to address this seemingly fundamental question,

Great! Finally here is someone giving emphasis to methodology - how and
what people do and what they produce from it. If productivity were the
criterion (rather than obscure suff about facts and theories) perhaps we
would not have to deal with this matter at all.

>despite the fact that such
>research programs were the norm two centuries ago. In fact, modern
>creationists often disagree about the limits of originally created species,
>but without providing scientific evidence to back up their claims.

And of course creation scientists disagree over a lot of stuff, even within
Christian creationism let alone alternative theological frameworks (and I
bet the creationists will be as opposed to teaching those aspects as they
are about being left out of the education program themselves).

John Grehan

>--
>Curtis Clark                  http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
>Biological Sciences Department             Voice: (909) 869-4062
>California State Polytechnic University      FAX: (909) 869-4078
>Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                  jcclark at csupomona.edu

John Grehan
Frost Entomological Museum
Pennsylvania State University