Voucher specimens, again

Mary Barkworth Mary at BIOLOGY.USU.EDU
Mon Jul 30 12:53:18 CDT 2001

I have volunteered a paper on the importance of voucher specimens for a
meeting this September and I am hoping the members of TAXACOM can hope
me with some examples.  I am particularly interested in examples where
the existence of voucher specimens gave a paper value beyond its
purpose.  Yes, I am interested in horror stories, but I think that it
will probably be more productive to emphasize the benefits of depositing
vouchers.  The meeting is about plants, primarily systematics and
breeding - but one of my pet peeves is the lack of documentation of
ecological studies so I would be interest in examples from floristics
and ecology as well.  Please reply off list, particularly if you are
offering a horror story.  My email is mary at biology.usu.edu.

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.  There will be a written paper
that will be made available for downloading.

Mary