Publication when public policy makes specimens unavailable

Sally Shelton Shelton.Sally at NMNH.SI.EDU
Mon Jun 11 14:22:18 CDT 2001

Forwarded on behalf of a colleague not subscribed to TAXACOM.

>>> <Laurie_Bryant at ut.blm.gov> 06/11/01 12:06PM >>>
If this "administrative unit" is owned and operated by the county or the State, then the county gets to make the rules.  I don't know of any federal law or regulation that would limit such a collection to the county, as federal specimens belong to all Americans.  BLM policy does not make any such restrictions, but if some local unit is trying it, we can inquire. However, I do know of cases in which local units of the Forest Service have made their own policy of retaining (at least) representative collections in the state where collected.  If it were me, I'd challenge the legality of this rule by calling the Solicitor, Office of the General Counsel, or whoever is the legal representative for the agency in question.  If you know who administers the land, please let me know.

PS  Is this the Barry Roth I went to Berkeley with???

Laurie J. Bryant
Regional Paleontologist
BLM Utah State Office
324 S. State Street