Significance Testing

Gabriel A. Eickhoff eickhoff at UMICH.EDU
Wed Jun 13 19:59:31 CDT 2001

Say, I was wondering if you all might help me out with a few questions
I've been asking around for a paper I've been working on. It's about the use
of significance (P values), power and null-hypothesis testing in Biological
papers. How often do you run across publications that use significance
values like (P>.05) or (P=.01). Often, rarely? What do you make of papers
that rely for the most part on null-hypothesis testing and don't use any
statistical theory?