Significance Testing

Gabriel A. Eickhoff eickhoff at UMICH.EDU
Thu Jun 14 02:47:49 CDT 2001

Actually, let me re-phrase these questions a little bit more clearly and
systematically.

Why do we use significance (P values like: P>.01) ?

What does it really tell us that using confidence intervals don't?

Why, in biological papers mainly having to do with experiments, don't we
incorporate a consideration for "power", i.e. calculate for sample size and
parameter range?

At what point is a sample size "good"?

Cheers-
-Gabriel