Non-Sense of the Senate (U.S.)?

Mary Barkworth Mary at BIOLOGY.USU.EDU
Sat Jun 16 16:46:09 CDT 2001

The point, however, is that there are many controversial subjects. For
instance, whether or not homosexuality has a genetic component; the time
when humans first invaded North America; global warming; the value of
maintaining diversity; the importance of stabilizing or reducing the number
of humans in the world. I am sure that physicists, chemists, geologists, and
other -ists could come up with many other controversial subjects.  It is
only evolution that is mentioned in the law.

I am also curious as to whether education comes under the heading of "a
necessary service" or "stuff relevant to international responsibilities" -
but I do not think the discussion is relevant to TAXACOM.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Gatrelle [mailto:gatrelle at TILS-TTR.ORG]
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2001 3:17 PM
To: TAXACOM at USOBI.ORG
Subject: Re: Non-Sense of the Senate (U.S.)?

>From Rev. Ron Gatrelle
    I have mixed feelings on this. My most concrete view is that I do not
like to see government get involved with much of anything other than
providing  necessary services and "stuff" relative to international
responsibilities. In other words - keep out of our business. I am a strong
supported of the seperaton of church and state. I distance my self as far
as possible from the politically religious.
     I am not a "liberal" theologian. I would fit into the evangelical,
fundamental and worst yet- Pentecostal group. Though I also distance myself
as far as possible from the preacher crooks on TV and hyper-faith-bless ME
types.
     I have also written a number of taxonomic evolutionary papers. I
certainly support hearing and teaching all sides of an "issue". Those who
fear letting the other side(s) have a shot at the ear are losers already in
my book. Truth is never to be feared - though it is often hard to
determine. Which is why we need as much information as we can get. Thus, my
fear is that this might be a precursor to stymieing either - evolutionism
or creationism - "thought". I want both positions presented and let the
listener make up his/her own mind.
    I sense no desire for censorship in Peter's post, just a desire to keep
the playing field level. I totally agree. Let's not weight this (especially
not have government weight it) for either side.
Ron