WWW sites for translating LATIN?

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Tue Jun 19 14:36:33 CDT 2001

Given all the botanists who read TAXACOM, etc., do any of you know of good
sites on the World Wide Web where one can get Latin diagnoses / descriptions
translated? Or even be able to look up the meanings of Latin words.

Yes, as a zoologist I am rather ignorant of Latin, but occassionally do
have to deal with old description in Latin and where the types are now lost.

Hence, phrases, such as

"Thoracis ... maculis ad unumquodue latus duabus luteo-pallidis, una ante,
alia post alas."  or

"Abdomen ... margini segmentorum praecedentium proximis nisi contiguis, et
duabus ad latera segmenti primi flavis ..."

sometimes are critical.  [Yes, I do get that one is a description of a pale
luteous color lateral marking on the thorax and the other the yellow color
on the margins of the abdomen. But I am still missing some of the
adjectives]

Thanks

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., ARS, USDA