WWW sites for translating LATIN?

John Bruner jbruner at GPU.SRV.UALBERTA.CA
Tue Jun 19 12:58:33 CDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, christian thompson wrote:
> Given all the botanists who read TAXACOM, etc., do any of you know of good
> sites on the World Wide Web where one can get Latin diagnoses / descriptions
> translated? Or even be able to look up the meanings of Latin words.
> Yes, as a zoologist I am rather ignorant of Latin, but occassionally do
> have to deal with old description in Latin and where the types are now lost.
> Thanks
> F. Christian Thompson
> Systematic Entomology Lab., ARS, USDA
> Smithsonian Institution
> Washington, D. C. 20560-0169
> (202) 382-1800 voice
> (202) 786-9422 FAX
> cthompso at sel.barc.usda.gov

I suggest you visit Matthew Carrano's website at Stony Brook State
University of New York, entitled, "Polyglot Paleontologist".

http://www.uhmc.sunysb.edu/anatomicalsci/paleo/index.html

There are a lot of links to translations, translation services, etc.

        John
* Mr. John C. Bruner                                 *
* Department of Biological Sciences                  *
* University of Alberta                              *
* FAX: (780) 492-9234        \>       \>       \==== *
* EMAIL: jbruner at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca                 *
* HOME PAGE:http://www.ualberta.ca/~jbruner/         *