WWW sites for translating LATIN?

Mark Garland magarland at NETZERO.NET
Tue Jun 19 21:44:02 CDT 2001

To the sites mentioned earlier, I'll add the Perseus project at Tufts
University.  Completely non-biological, but they have Lewis & Short (a
standard Latin dictionary) and Liddell, Scott & Jones (a standard Greek
dictionary) in a searchable format online.  Here's a link to the
dictionaries and a Latin morphological analysis tool (tells you what the
particular form of a Latin word means grammatically).  I've never run across
any zoological Latin sites.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/perscoll?collection=Perseus%3Acollectio
n%3APersInfo&type=Any&lang=Any&lookup=Latin+dictionary

"Thoracis ... maculis ad unumquodue [should be unumquodque] latus duabus
luteo-pallidis, una ante,
alia post alas"

"With 2 pale yellow spots on each side of the thorax, one in front of, the
other behind the wings"

"Abdomen ... margini segmentorum praecedentium proximis nisi contiguis, et
duabus ad latera segmenti primi flavis ..."

"Abdomen...with [something plural missing here] very near if not touching
the margin of the preceding segments, and with two yellow [something else
missing] on the sides of the first segment"

Hope this helps,

Mark Garland
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
U.S.A.